-My last answer led me right into the beginning of this chapter. "The field of instructional design and technology is focused on improving learning and performance. Learning and performance typically occur within organizations (systems), including school districts, universities, businesses, government institutions, and others." This is exactly what i was trying to say when saying that using technology to the maximum capabilities to have work flow with ease between coworkers and administration. It just seems like someone is always talking about 'needs and future directions'. Is there an educator out there that doesn't realize that districtwide ecological systemic improvement is not only needed, but doable? And then to say that an important need is for policymakers on state and national levels to realize that there is the need for and nature of ecological systemic transformation of school districts, Do they not already know this? We can always talk about different ways of doing it but when are we going to do it? Finances and knowledge always seem to be the key factors either there isnt enough money or people dont know enough about it to do it. There is always some test that was done or some test that was done or some system that a school district tried out to see how it would work. There is always an article or some information on these things and the same results, some worked, some didnt', and we all know we need to do something about it but still continue in the same vicious cycle. Who or when is going to change it who or when is going to take the technology that we have and use it to turn around our districts.
I've heard many times that you can get statistics to support whatever you say... depending on where you look and how you phrase your statements.
ReplyDeleteI think improvements are vital, but a complete change is not always necessary. Administrators have to think about all the costs, steps, advantages and disadvantages before they make final decisions. Even after all that research, many plans fail! I say- baby steps... slow but continual will get us making our improvements without falling flat. -Suzy
Tracy,
ReplyDeleteI agree with some of what you said. Most teachers, administrators and politicians do realize that a change is needed. I think teachers and school professionals think about it more than politicians. I think some of the excessive amounts of money that our government spends could be better allocated to processes such as these that would promote growth in the future. Haven't they heard "Children are the future, teach them well and let them lead the way." Although I feel like I am on an anti-government kick this morning I just cannot get over the fact that if we put money into education it will help us in the future.
In regards to will it work or will it fail, that all depends on the staff. I have seen several teachers that genuinely care about the education they are giving and several who just want the paycheck or the opportunity to coach. If you can get positive staff on the team and good positive statistics, I think you can sway the followers to make it work.
Jackie Sowle
Tracy,
ReplyDeleteI agree knowledge and money sometimes are the determining factor but having a plan and preparation I think are the key. Sometimes it takes along time so committment is always needed! :)KathyW.