Wednesday, August 5, 2009

R/D12

Well, you were right when you said this chapter was somewhat complex. I had to keep going back over and over to weed through the concepts and break down the meanings. Myself i need visuals to help grasp concepts that are new to me, games and thematic treatments are a good reinforcement to the visuals. And when i combine audio with the visual its even better so I think one method goes with the other hand in hand and its hard to distinguish individually between the others in choosing just two ways to improve instructional design work. As the book states "Students learn better from words and pictures than from words alone" (p.63). In my previous experience the students i was interning with had a tutorial they used to enhance their math skills. The students would use this tutorial visually on the computer but also be listening with headphones to enhance their abilities in answering the needed information. I do encourage the use of audio and visual at the same time but would be cautious as not to use to much of either one. I noticed that on some of the answers and praising of the correct answers there were a lot of animation used and felt this was sometimes distracting to the students when trying to stay on course and maintain focus on the lessons. I also would try to incorporate simulations into my design methods, to incorporate motor skills and the freedom to interact as they please.

4 comments:

  1. Tracy,
    I agree with you with the complexity of the chapter except I felt I already knew most of this stuff. I always try to connect new ideas with prior knowledge because than what student learn can be transfer to long term memory. Of course I always liked to watch video with narrative like National Geographic so it makes sense that most people learn better this way. Sometimes text without pictures is soooo boring! :) KathyW

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a good point about visuals distracting students. I try to keep my room simple and organized for that same reason. Anything in sight should stimulate some kind of music learning. It's hard to do, but at least if they're distracted... it's by some other music topic. :) -Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy,


    I feel that computer learning programs have to try to compete with television. Sometimes I think that is why they are overly "flashy" and busy. I also like the idea of using music when students are working. I think the trick is to use soothing, calm music without words. They have these CDs out that are like "music for the mind" and they have a certain number of beats per minute that help to keep the kids calm.

    Jackie Sowle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you are right, Tracy. We should be careful about over stimilating them with audio and visualization. I can remember so many classes where my students won't keep their eyes off the TV or the Smartboard. They really get into it.

    ReplyDelete