Tuesday, July 28, 2009

R/D11

Well after reading this chapter i wasn't left wondering about my competencies i was left wondering if i would be capable of landing a job due to lack of competencies due to lack of certification and/or training. I feel that i can always do anything i put my mind to, but will i not be competent because of lack of definition in my job title or certifications. How can we know where were going if our past is so unclear, how can there be such a big discrepancy in defining technology professionals. I mean i don't by all means have enough education to call myself certified but how do i know what i'm working toward when the definitions keep getting changed and i will never feel confident in the title i may one day hold due to uncertainty. There is always room for improvement and that is why i am seeking additional certification and taking these technology classes, but after reading this chapter i'm worried that my additional certification won't mean anymore than what i already have. What will set me apart from an ordinary teacher without technology certifications? So i guess this question leads me into my own answer. I would need to improve and develop my performance-oriented skills. I always thought academically vs. performance oriented, i guess my performance as a teacher will still be geared toward academics but focusing more on my performance and how i bring my teaching skills across. What this means to me is that i would be more affective by the way i teach not what i teach. If a student doesn't learn or retain what is being taught it wont matter what is being taught. I don't know but I think the responsibilities of all three professions should be the same i don't know how they can define one as one way and another a different way. So as an instructional designer you must be honest and fair inall facets of one's work and as a training manager commit time and effort to the development of the profession, but not be honest and fair? Why would they state one requirement for one profession but not for the other i would hope that all three professionals would be honest and fair in all facets of one's work.

5 comments:

  1. I can only imagine your frustration that these competencies and definitions still aren't worked out! And they've been working on them for a long time.
    One thing you can say about most teachers is that they care enough to try to continually improve their importance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought about what sets me apart from other teachers based on my certifications, but it does seem that people notice when you have an aptitude in using technology. In my district we have TAG(technology) people in every building. These people may or may not be officially certified, but they do have an interest in technology and are advocating for it as well as helping their colleagues in using it in their classroom. I don't know if a certification would help them or not. I do know, that at the end of this master's program, we will have a degree that states we have the degree in educational technology. Even if they change the definition a million times, it will be worth something.

    Danelle Drake

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy,

    I had a similar feeling when reading this chapter, why such distinction between objectives. To me it seems that they spent a lot of money, revising something that could very easily be done and set as a standard. As teachers/professionals we all know we need to do x,y and z.

    However, I did feel that it was nice to have a "rubric" to look at to evaluate what I am doing. Since I consider myself to be more of an instructor than the other positions, it was helpful to see what I was/ was not doing.


    Jackie Sowle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you said it perfect, it doesn't matter what you teach, it is how you teach it. You could be teaching the most boring subject, but if you can teach it in a manner that catches the attention of the kids, then you have done your job. As a math teacher, I struggle with that every day. Math is not the most interesting and fun subject, so I have to come up with some creative lessons, however, doing that is very very time consuming, and expensive. Keep working hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you on the certification questions. I know that my provisional certification expires in June of 2011. Originally, I had to take 18 credits and 3 yrs of teaching experience. NOW- they've added reading class requirements and who knows what else they'll throw in before 06-2011. Good luck to all of us... we just have to try our best. I feel your pain! -Suzy

    ReplyDelete