Monday, July 20, 2009

R/D7

-Well once again this is touching on a subject that is very discouraging for a lot of people, technological advancement in the work place. As this chapter states "Employees who are kept from receiving training that will promote them to a different job may have a basis for litigation." But how many people really want to learn, i think most of the people are scared of change and walk away from the opportunity to learn or re-learn new methods of getting the same work done. This leads me to talk about the next paragraphs in the book labeled information technology. The office use to consist of a simple typewriter and paper. I worked in an office that had data processors that we had to type are legal descriptions on and were forced to switch a main network which compiled all our work into one system so that we could cross reference each others files. In the long run it made the office run so much smoother but the transition was so frustrating and a lot of us put up a fight. All of our work fits into the project management category also. Where we had an office manager that kept track of all our files and double checked our work we no longer needed her. The computer could keep track of all our files and double check our work so all the hard copies were to be filed in the basement. Of course the office manager through a fit, but in the long run we as a team could produce more work and better quality of work which in turn produced more revenue for the company and allowed us raises. So although instructional design/technology may see frustrating or mind boggling at first i do believe it will have its benefits if used in the best of ways or the best of intentions. Regardless if in an office setting, or a classroom or administration building it would help all involved to be intertwined to allow for the maximum flow of information and ease within the work place.

4 comments:

  1. Tracy- I agree that technology is frustrating but helpful. I think the only reason people don't embrace new tools immediately, is because they know that there is a lot of work between mastery of their current ways and mastery of the new ways. Just like the internet, technology makes information more accessible in office environments and beyond. :) -Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year several teachers at my school taught an online class. I am sure Sharon will find this hard to believe, but I actually had very little trouble handling the program. However, I had a colleage who was technology challenged and she always asked me to help her sign in and make sure she was recording her class and that her students could hear her. :) So for her, the technology was frightening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy,

    I like how you talked about challenging technology.As I am sure you have experienced, this happens in the classroom as well. It seems that whenever we have a presentation about a new peice of technology everyone is so impressed. However, when they realize that it might take extra work, they are unwilling to even try. Many people (in all businesses) think that they way they are used to has to be the best. This mindset could possibly be part of the reason President Obama is encouraging people to go back to school and that our economy is declining so rapidly becuase other countries (China, Japan) are embracing technology.

    Jackie Sowle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy, I am with you in thinking technology can be challenging. I'm both excited about the prospect of newer technology in my classroom and also nervous. I think people will(and in some cases already have) become dependent on technology. Then, the day that for some reason, their technology isn't functioning properly, they are completely at a loss. Its no wonder older teachers aren't always thrilled with newer technology! The worse thing that could happen to the chalkboard is to be out of chalk!

    Danelle Drake

    ReplyDelete